By Derek Pearsall
- Traces the historical past of Arthurian romance from medieval to fashionable times.
- Covers paintings and flicks in addition to the good literary works of Arthurian romance.
- Draws out the altering political, ethical and emotional makes use of of the story.
- Explains the long-lasting allure of the Arthurian legend.
- Written through an writer with tremendous wisdom of medieval literature.
Read or Download Arthurian Romance: A Short Introduction (Wiley Blackwell Introductions to Literature) PDF
Similar literary gothic & romantic criticism books
Contemporary serious and scholarly curiosity in John Keats has inspired a resurgence of curiosity in his buddy and mentor, the poet and journalist Leigh Hunt. This well timed selection of essays through major British and North the United States romanticists explores Hunt's existence, writings and cultural value over the whole size of his profession, arguing for the popularity of Hunt's value to British highbrow and literary tradition within the Romantic interval.
Incarnations of deadly ladies, or femmes fatales, recur in the course of the works of girls writers within the Romantic interval. Adriana Craciun demonstrates how portrayals of femmes fatales or deadly girls performed a massive function within the improvement of Romantic women's poetic identities and proficient their exploration of matters surrounding the physique, sexuality and politics.
This new examine of yank poetry perspectives the poetics of Ezra Pound and his avant-garde fans in a completely new mild. either Romanticism and Modernism have variously been obvious as innovative or retrograde, narcissistic or self-abnegating. This interdisciplinary paintings appears prior differences among colleges and types to bare an unforeseen hyperlink among poets' non secular aspirations, formal experiments, and political convictions.
Shortlisted for the collage English Early profession publication Prize 2016Shortlisted for the British organization for Romantic stories First booklet Prize 2015When writers of the overdue eighteenth and early 19th centuries explored the results of natural and emotional sensitivity, the ache of the physique gave upward push to unsettling yet impossible to resist questions.
- James Hogg and British Romanticism: A Kaleidoscopic Art
- Romantic Literature, Race, and Colonial Encounter (Nineteenth-Century Major Lives and Letters)
- Coleridge the Poet: Volume 5 (RLE: Wordsworth and Coleridge)
- Island Genres, Genre Islands: Conceptualisation and Representation in Popular Fiction (Rethinking the Island)
Extra resources for Arthurian Romance: A Short Introduction (Wiley Blackwell Introductions to Literature)